Monday 25 June 2012

Pleasant Weekends

I'm back! It's been ages, I know, but this weekend was so pleasant that I had to write about it :)

I know this is a completely obvious statement, and I am not unique in this way at all, but I really love weekends. Time to sleep in a bit, read, get to the farmer's market or the green grocers, do some baking, go for a walk...all great, great things! This weekend I even managed to get in some surfing (I am so bad, but it is so much fun!) AND the sun made an appearance, so I headed out to Rhossili on Sunday afternoon and spent some time at the beach. It was absolutely perfect :)

As for this weekend's cooking, I've been trying really hard lately to watch what I eat and keep track of how much I'm consuming, in my efforts to stop eating like 10 grown men and to start eating like a normal single female. I'm not going to lie, it's been difficult! But I love finding recipes that provide good food and are actually fun to make. Especially right now, when there's so much great and reasonably local produce available, it's a great time to be cooking! So this weekend I made ratatouille and Scandinavian Rye bread, both of which will be dinner for the week. In my efforts to create a balanced meal, I added lentils to the ratatouille for protein (I'm a weekday vegetarian, as I'm too lazy and cheap to cook meat every night). If you aren't as lazy as me, and do cook meat regularly, I think the ratatouille (minus the lentils) would go really well with grilled or roasted chicken, lamb or sausage - it's fairly versatile, really, since it's basically vegetable stew!




Ratatouille
2 tbsp olive oil
3 medium onions, roughly chopped
3 - 4 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
1 medium aubergine (eggplant), quartered and roughly chopped
2 medium courgettes (zucchini), quartered and roughly chopped
1 large red pepper, roughly chopped
1 large yellow pepper, roughly chopped
4 - 5 large, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
Sea salt and ground black pepper
5 - 6 mushrooms, roughly chopped (optional)
150 g lentils, soaked (if dried) or canned and drained (optional)

1. Heat the olive oil over low - medium heat in a large pot and add the onions, stirring occasionally for 5 - 7 minutes, until onions are soft and transluscent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.

2. Add the rest of the vegetables all at once and give it all a good stir. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for at least 45 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft and melty.

**If you have time and the desire, you can also roast the vegetables before combining them into the pot to stew - this will allow individual flavours to come through a bit more, but it's entirely up to you!



Scandinavian Rye Bread
175 mL whole milk
175 mL water
2 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
7 g active dried yeast (1 pkg)
250 g rye flour
200 g strong white bread flour
2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp caraway seeds

1. Combine milk, water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat, stirring continuously, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is lukewarm. Remove pan from heat, add the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes, until foamy.

2. In a large bowl, combine rye flour, white flour, salt and caraway seeds. Form a well in the centre, and add the yeast mixture. Stir until all the liquid is incorporated, and then tip out onto a lightly floured surface.

3. Knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough is soft and consistent in texture, but not sticky. Lightly oil the bowl and return the bread to the bowl, turning once to coat. Lightly oil some clingfilm/plastic wrap and cover the bowl and let stand in a warm, draught-free place for 90 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size. *If, like me, you have no warm draught-free spaces in your house, you can also preheat your oven to 150F, then turn the oven off and put the bowl in there instead. I've had much more success with dough rising since I started doing this! Just make sure the bowl is heatproof, and maybe use aluminium foil instead of clingfilm.

4. Once the dough has risen, knock it back with your knuckles a bit before tipping it out onto a lightly floured surface and kneading briefly. Shape the dough into a round and place on a greased cookie sheet (or greased parchment paper). Deeply score the dough 3 times, then cover in clingfilm and let stand for another 45 - 50 minutes (or until doubled in size).

5. Once the dough has risen again, bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 35 - 40 minutes. You'll know it's finished when the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when it's tapped. Let the dough cool for about 20 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment